Sunday 16 February 2014

"The Bad Luck Bird - He has a Dagger for a beak and pecks Your eyes out as You Sleep"

(Copyrights belongs to yours truly)

The trip was a pleasant one, although I am quite tired at the moment.
I took my camera with me, though I didn't think there would be any time to take pictures - luckily I did.

There's something so comforting in the knowledge of going home and viewing familiar scenery's. The desire of going home seemed to have grown more and more by every minute and by every sign of familiarity in the surroundings, whether it's the buildings or forests or lakes.

My winter-music.

I also found a great book about the language of Karjala (Karelia). It's a very rare type of Finnish-dialect, which is only spoken in the Karjala that has belong to Russia from the year 1944 onward. My roots are in that area - as are most of the Finnish people - so for example at least couple of my grandparents spoke the language yet they didn't teach it to their children. Now I'm finding myself curious about the language. Some of the words and sentences are similar to the Finnish equivalents yet there's a lot of unknown meanings and familiar sounding words which I cannot figure out.

I do not know if many other languages have developed in such way, that there's a huge amount of words forgotten or replaced with other words, so that the map has countless of place-names which sound odd and unfamiliar. I could take two for example: "Leppävirta" = "Alder-stream". But in Finnish the word "leppä" also means "blood". And there's another odd place-name: "Kouvola" - no direct translation there. Even for a Finnish-people that word sounds like gibberish, nonsense, but the word "kouvo" seem to mean at least two things "a bear" and "a louse". I've always wondered these unknown words. Why does the word "vaara" mean "a hill"? Why are there so many words of our history spread everywhere, yet we are left to wonder without knowing who we were. 

Perhaps that's why I'm so drawn to our old "pagan"-ways. 

I want to carve the faces of those gods no one seems to have been able to save from the Christian-missionaries.


(Copyrights belongs to me and only me - thank you)

No comments:

Post a Comment