Wednesday 22 January 2014

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight."

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. 
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming


I've been writing an essay about H.P Lovecraft for an English course, and I've never before read his biography. I do not know much about him, except what he looks like, so I've found some interesting information about him that I find easy to identify myself with. 
He was very passionate about writing. He seemed to live only for that, and besides being poor for his whole life, he didn't seem to care about the actual material world. He wrote and lived at night. He was a pale, thin man who lived from books and from his imagination. He didn't care for working, education or romances. He did get married, but with the perhaps questionable bit of information I found - since I didn't really put any effort on finding good sources since they're not the main interest in the course - Lovecraft seemed to have been a very passive lover. For me, that says that he might have been an asexual. Able to love, perhaps, but not all that interested. Whatever the truth was, or where the more accurate information is, I'm captivated by his works. I cannot believe I spent my teen's reading King, when I could've read Lovecraft... What a waste.

Also with Lovecraft's troubled past having a mentally unstable father, who spent all of Lovecraft's life in mental institution, and finally having his mother be sent to that same place, I can see why Lovecraft found immaterial imaginative worlds more appealing than reality. This is something I most definitely identify myself.

Written like from my own pen:


I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.
H. P. Lovecraft


The more I read, the more fascinated I get. Wish I could have known the man.

Also for fans, I found this amazing blog, Propnomicon, with a lot of Lovecraft monster-props. Click the name or the image to get there.


From that blog I got this picture with a text:
"A photograph of bootlegger Giles Upham taken the day after the federal raid on Innsmouth, Massachusetts. He was captured by United States Marines and agents of the Department of Justice in the hidden tunnels beneath the town on February 3, 1928 and later convicted of multiple crimes. Like many of the conspirators taken into custody he displays the signs of generations of inbreeding- bulging, watery eyes, humpbacked posture, and wattle-like growths on the neck. "

The shadow over Innsmouth is one of my favourite Lovecraft's short novels.

*

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H. P. Lovecraft

I also got to enjoy Lovecraft movie adaptations in two Cinemare-events, which was mind blowing. I admit, they're not completely perfect, but they were filmed with unique personality and appearance that I have them in my "got to buy"-list.


Click the images to see IMDB-link and Chtulhulives-link.


"...Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
(Nyarl)athotep, Great Messenger, bringer of strange joy to Yuggoth through the void, Father of the Million Favoured Ones, Stalker among-****. . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment